• What training do I need to work offshore?

    Certain training is required in order to work offshore. You will need to complete the Minimum Industry Safety Training (MIST) and theBasic Offshore Safety Induction and Emergency Training (BOSIET).

  • What about training in other roles in the oil and gas industry?

    There is a wide range of training available, ranging from short flexible courses through to full-time academic education – it will depend on the role or career you end up in.

  • Where can I gain qualifications?

    UCAS offer oil and gas related undergraduate / postgraduate courses, but speak to your employer as there are a host of qualifications linked to specific roles.

  • Do I need further education to qualify?

    No! There are many routes into oil and gas – higher and further education is just one option.

    Check out Modern Apprenticeships opportunities available including the Oil and Gas Technical Apprenticeship Programme (OGTAP) for more practical and hands-on training!

Open Learning

  • Is open learning available?

    Yes – there is a whole host of open and eLearning options available, dependent on what role or career you move into! OPITO's Petroleum Open Learning provides the oil and gas industry with a range of self-learning courses. For more information on the POL courses, visit the OPITO website.

  • What can I use for open learning?

    With today’s technology, it is easier than ever to complete courses online – using a desktop computer, a tablet or even a smartphone!

  • What are the benefits of open learning?

    You take responsibility for your own learning progress. You have the flexibility to choose when and where to study. The tricky issues of being away from home and work are removed. Not only that, you save money as you do not have to worry about travel and accommodation costs!